Yes, There are people in the world trying to connect their devices to your WiFi network so that they can see Youtube videos in HD for free. They use the high amount of bandwidth to download games and videos because they don’t want to miss the chance. In result, your internet speed goes down like hell!
There is nothing to worry about if this is the case (Or similar). In this in-depth guide, I will show you how you can force disconnect those users so that they can’t use the internet connection you pay for.
First of all, I assume that you know the IP address of your Router configuration Panel. If you don’t know, it looks something like 192.168.1.1. If you still don’t know about it, I recommend you to read about it by clicking on it.
Now, Considering you know what is Router configuration panel, We can start with the guide.
Disconnect unwanted users from WiFi Network
To make this process easy to understand, I’ve broken it down into steps so that things don’t get messed up. Let’s get started without wasting a single more minute.
- Open up the Router configuration panel by accessing your Router’s IP address in a browser. You will be asked to enter username and password just like the following image.
- Enter the correct username and password. Once you are in, Find the active client table to get the list of devices connected to your router. Copy the MAC Addresses you want to disconnect.
- Once done, In the Advanced tab, you will find MAC Filter option. (According to your router, the location of this page might vary.)
- Assuming that you are now on the MAC Filter page, You will see one form to add a filter (Again, Maybe your router will have a different type of form but fields will be same.).
- Enter the MAC Address of the Device you want to disconnect and you click on the add button. (If you are using DigiSol router too, make sure you are removing “:” signs from the MAC address).
- Once done, the devices with specific MAC address will not be able to use the bandwidth of your Wifi network.
These are the basic steps to disallow any specific device to access your WiFi Network. It may vary from router to router and company to company but this is what you must be doing if you don’t want someone to access your WiFi.
Conclusion: This is one way to make sure that no one is using your WiFi connection for free except you. There is one more way which is complex but more secure. Using that method, You can maintain the list of devices that are allowed to connect instead of devices that are not allowed to connect.
This method is more secure and we might write one article dedicated to that method to set up MAC filtering in such a way. For now, if you have any questions, you can comment them down in the comment section and we will respond as soon as we can!